Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mango Ice Cream topped with Chocolate Sauce



I love Mangoes and everything made out of them. My favorite variety is the Alphonso for it's sheer richness of flavor, sweetness, color and fragrance. I simply love the smell of fresh Alphonso mangoes. If I could, I'd have my kitchen smelling of it all year through.
 
And with summer here, it's time to go mango munching again. Nothing beats the summer heat better than ice cream and with fresh mangoes lying deliciously in my kitchen, how could I resist myself from making some rich and creamy mango ice cream.

I made them with my favorite variety of mangoes, the Alphonso as I always do and then topped them up with some chocolate sauce before serving. I wasn't too sure of the outcome but went ahead with the experiment though. And I never thought that the two rich tastes would blend together so beautifully to result in such an amazingly delectable flavor. I'm so happy to have discovered this for myself. You have to give it a try too to really experience it. It's simply heavenly. 

Here is my recipe.  

Ingredients:

For the Ice Cream
Alphonso Mangoes - 2 medium sized
(You could use the frozen or pulped variety too. In that case, use 1 & 1/2 cups of the peeled and chopped fruit or pulp)
Castor Sugar - 2 tablespoons
Full Cream Milk - 2 cups
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 3/4 cup

For the Chocolate Sauce
Cocoa Powder - 2 tablespoons
Full Cream Milk - 1 cup
Unsalted Butter - 2 tablespoons
Sugar - 2 tablespoons

For Garnishing
Chocolate Wafer Rolls

Instructions:

For the Ice Cream

First wash, peel and chop the mangoes. If you are using frozen mangoes or ready made mango pulp just remove the required quantity in a bowl.
In a blender jar, drop in the mango pieces and the castor sugar and blend to make a smooth puree. If you are using ready made mango pulp, skip this step and follow the next.
Next, add the condensed milk and the milk and mix. You could do it in the same jar if you are using a mixer. For those of you using ready made mango pulp, throw in the pulp, sugar, condensed milk and milk and do the mixing.
Pour in this mix into a shallow container, cover and allow to freeze till almost set for around four to six hours.
Next, remove from the freezer and churn once more in the blender to make a smooth mix. You need to follow this step to get rid of any ice crystals that might have formed. 
Now freeze it again covered in the shallow container to set.
Use it within a week of freezing for the best taste.

For the Chocolate Suace

Mix together the milk, sugar and the cocoa powder.
Boil the mix stirring continuously till it thickens for around 10 minutes.
Next add the butter and cook for another 5 minutes.
Cool the mix and store in an airtight bottle in the refrigerator for upto 3 to 4 weeks.

To Serve
Simply scoop out the ice cream into bowls and top off with the chocolate sauce and garnish with chocolate wafers.

Variation: 
For a variation, make the ice cream with chocolate chips. Once the ice cream mix is ready after the second churning, stir in the chocolate chips and freeze.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment